Bras! Our number one bugbear when it comes to dressing women. We have lost count of the number of times we have explained, cajoled, even begged you to wear the right bra. Do you listen? The fact is that, despite our tireless work, the vast majority of women still wear a bra that is too big in the back, too small in the cups, unsupportive and completely useless!
You can spend what you like on a fabulous dress but if the bosom beneath is sagging, squished or spilling out all over the place your expensive designer garment will never look amazing. Wearing a bra that fits you properly is the number one way to transform your figure. As Susannah knows, it will instantly flatten your tummy and enhance your waist.
Here are our key tips for choosing the right bra:
- Always get fitted. Your bra size changes dramatically with weight gain and loss, child-bearing and hormonal changes throughout life.
- To avoid cleavage crêpe, look for a bra that separates as well as lifts.
- Make sure that the shoulder and back straps are wide and comfortable.
- Your bra should fit snugly around your torso on the loosest fastenings – but not ride up at the back. Over time your bra will stretch and this is when the second and third sets of hooks come into play.
- Your breasts should completely fill the cups without bulging out. The underwires (or seams, if an unwired bra) should sit flat against your rib-cage between your boobs and also encircle the outer quadrant without biting into your flesh. If this is not the case, you need a larger cup size.
If you are a lady with boobs, we beseech you, watch this video every time you go shopping, show it to your daughters, share it with your friends, plaster it all over the internet. Let’s put an end to bad bras forever!
Inspired? Get a bra like Susannah’s: